Seek prospects with these attributes:
- Resources to make the level gift you are seeking
- Inclination and history of contributing to your charity
- Strong relationship with someone in your organization
- History of giving to any charity, preferably at this level
- What is their giving history to your organization?
- What is their past involvement with your charity?
- What is their giving history to other charities?
- What are their special interests?
- Who is our “connector” to them?
Try to answer this question from THEIR viewpoint: “Why might this individual make a major investment in us?”
- Develop a personalized case statement that outlines their interests and needs (not yours).
- Determine the best person to make the initial call or set the appointment.
- Decide the most appropriate time for setting that contact.
- Determine who should be present — a team approach is often best.
- Before meeting discuss possible subsequent follow up steps.
- Determine recognition opportunities.
- Practice the call — role playing works.